Greg Weisman is a self-professed Shakespeare fan, and it is not uncommon to find Shakespeare references in his works.
- Sycorax Island takes its name from the eponymous (and dead) Algerian witch.
- The Prospero Keys take their name from the main protagonist, who is a powerful sorcerer.
- Miranda is named after Prospero's daughter.
- Ariel is named after the sprite who serves as Prospero's eyes and ears.
- Alonso is named after the king of Naples.
- Sebastian is the Alonso's brother in the play, who unsuccessfully plots to kill him and usurp the throne.
- Callahan sounds like Caliban, one of the antagonists.
- Setebos takes his name after a deity worshiped by Caliban.
A Midsummer Night's Dream
- "Honest Robin Lane" and "Goodfellow Lane" allude to Robin Goodfellow, also known as Puck, a mischievous sprite.